4th National Catholic Family Bible Encounter launched last February 10, 2010 during the 18th National Biblical Workshop and 5th National Consultation of the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) of the Catholic Bishop Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) at Club Balai Isabel, Talisay Batangas
(1st row left to right) Bp. Antonieto D. Cabajog, DD, Bp. Francisco de Leon, DD, Bp. George B. Rimando, DD, Bp. Renato P. Mayugba, DD, Bp. Arturo M. Bastes, SVD, DD, His Eminence Ricardo J. Cardinal Vidal, DD, Bp. Pablo Virgilio S. David, DD, Ms. Elvira Y. Go, Bp. Jose F. Oliveros, DD, Bp. Romulo G. Valles, DD, Bp. Broderick Pabillo, DD, Bp. Sofronio A. Bancud, SSS, DD, Bp. Joel Z. Baylon, DD.
(2nd row National Catholic Family Bible Encounter/Power to Unite Secretariat left to right) Ms. Eva Castillo, Lily Barnuevo, Vismalou Bonalos, Fr. Oscar A. Alunday, SVD, Msgr. Gary Formoso, Fr. Mike Garcia, Naomi Dagodog, Louie Ignacio, Editha Santos, Victorina Padilla, Atty. Nick Nangit, Lina Cacal
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines -
Permanent Committee on International Eucharistic Congresses
Episcopal Commission on Biblical Apostolate
Episcopal Commission on Family and Life Apostolate
Episcopal Commission on Youth
Episcopal Commission on Liturgy
Episcopal Commission for Pastoral Care for Migrants and Itinerant People
Episcopal Commission on Social Communication and Mass Media
Office on Bioethics
Episcopal Committee on Basic Ecclesial Communities
Episcopal Commission on Vocations
Episcopal Commission on Canon Law
and the Philippine Bible Society
in cooperation with
Power to Unite Catholic Family Bible Group, Inc. and
Columbia International Food Products, Inc.
The 4th National Catholic Family Bible Encounter
Theme: The Word of God calls us to be Caring Stewards of Creation
II. WHO CAN PARTICIPATE:
1. Letters will be disseminated to all the Archdioceses, Dioceses, Prelatures, and Apostolic Vicariates. They can confirm their participation through regular mail, e-mail, phone call, or text. They can also send back a filled-out registration form stating their confirmation or indicating their participation with the Secretariat via phone call.
2. The competition will be announced to the parishioners and over local radio stations, where eligible families will be encouraged to join. Each participating family is limited to 4-5 members, composed of father, mother, with 2-3 children, single, 8 – 25 years old (elementary, high school, or college level/graduate or out-of-school).
3. It is the discretion of the Arch/Bishop whether the Arch/Diocese will conduct Parish-level or Vicariate-level eliminations. Diocesan Parochial Schools may conduct a separate elimination, the winner of which will participate in the Arch/Diocesan elimination. What is important is that Arch/Diocesan-level elimination must be held. The Office of Biblical Apostolate of the Arch/Diocese should assign one Bible Animator to guide and accompany the family participant all the way to Regional/National Competition.
4. The Secretariat will not provide questions for the Arch/Diocesan Level eliminations. The Office of Biblical Apostolate of each participating Arch/Diocese will submit 20 questions with answers and biblical references for each category (Identification; Multiple Choice; True or False; Who Said it and To Whom it Was Said; & Open Bible) to the Secretariat. This time, the coverage of the question may be taken from the entire Bible. All questions are to be written in English. For the Regional and National Levels, questions are in English and will be provided by the Secretariat and the Philippine Bible Society. Deadline for submission of questions: April 16, 2010.
5. The Bible version to be used for the competition will be the Good News Version with deuterocanonicals in Today’s English Version. This version has the Imprimatur of Bp. Cirilo R. Almario, Jr, D.D., Bishop-Emeritus of Malolos and first ECBA Chairman; and a Nihil Obstat by Fr. Efren Rivera, O.P., S.T.L., S.S.L., and the first ECBA Executive Secretary. This version gives today’s readers maximum understanding of the content of the original texts. This is also the version translated to different vernacular languages in the Philippines, which is known as the BEC Bible.
6. For the Arch/Diocesan competition to materialize there must be a minimum of four (4) family participants. Failure to gather four (4) family participants would mean cancellation of the competition in the Arch/Diocese. The official Arch/Diocesan family participant to compete in the Regional level must have won the eliminations in the Arch/Diocese. The Arch/Bishops are entrusted to conduct their respective eliminations.
7. There will be Regional Arch/Diocesan competitions in Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao, and the National Capital Region (NCR). Luzon is divided into two parts: Northern and Southern. Qualified finalists residing far from the venue will be provided with transportation, board, and lodging for a maximum of 6 persons (i.e., father, mother, 2-3 children, and 1 Bible Animator) for 3 days and 2 nights if necessary. The 3 family-winners from the Regional competitions held in Luzon, Visayas,Mindanao, and NCR will receive surprise gifts, while the 1st place family winners advance to the National Finals.
8. Schedule of the Regional Arch/Diocesan Competitions:
Northern Luzon: October 29-31, 2010 Urdaneta, Pangasinan
NCR: January 7-9, 2011 Makati City
Southern Luzon: November 5-7, 2010 Legazpi City
Visayas: November 19-21, 2010 Cebu City
Mindanao: November 26-28, 2010 Davao City
9. Deadline for submission of the names of Arch/diocesan winners for the Regional Competitions not witnessed by the Secretariat:
Mindanao December 4, 2010
Visayas November 26, 2010
Northern Luzon November 5, 2010
Southern Luzon November 19, 2010
NCR November 12, 2010
10. The National Finals will be held on March 11-13, 2011 at Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Makati Avenue, Makati City.
11. National Finalists and Biblical Animators from outside Manila will receive round-trip tickets, and accommodations all-expenses paid for a maximum of 6 persons (i.e., father, mother, 2-3 children, and 1 Biblical Animator) for 3 days and 2 nights in Manila.
EXTEMPORANEOUS SPEECH CONTEST
“The Word of God calls us to be Caring Stewards of Creation”
1. To promote awareness of the Word of God among the Filipino youth.
2. To inspire them to bring out their best in contributing to Christian family value formation.
3. To deepen their faith and commitment as witnesses to Gospel values in their lives.
4. To share their creativity in spreading love, hope, peace, and unity for a better world.
5. To deepen their appreciation and love for the environment.
Matter: .......................................................... 60%
Relevance to the theme
Manner: .......................................................... 30%
Form: .............................................................. 10%
1. The “Extemporaneous Speech Contest” shall be held simultaneously with the 4th National Catholic Family Bible Encounter (NCFBE). No Contest shall proceed at the diocesan level in the absence of the NCFBE.
2. The Contest venue shall be proximate to the venue of the NCFBE and conducive to the attainment of its purposes.
3. The Contest shall be open to all single Catholic youth aged 12 to 24 from all Arch/Dioceses in the Philippines.
4. The Arch/Dioceses, in coordination with its Youth Commission, shall choose the members of their respective Board of Judges at their level, subject to prior approval by the NCFBE Secretariat. At the regional and national levels, the National Secretariat shall have the sole and exclusive discretion to appoint the members of the Board of Judges.
5. Winners shall receive surprise gifts. In all levels of the Contest, the Decision of the Board of Judges shall be final and non appealable.
6. The topic is given to the Contestant 7 minutes before the actual speech. Topic is to be chosen by drawing lots.
7. The Contestant is to deliver 5 minute constructive speech based on the topic drawn. On the 4thminute, the timekeeper rings the bell as warning that the speaker has a minute left. On the 5th minute, the bell rings to signify the end of the time allotted for the speech. However, a 30 second grace period is given. After the 30 second grace period, the speaker is to leave the stage finished or unfinished.
8. Medium to be used: vernacular, Tagalog or English
1. The judges will not be given the name of the contestant or from what parish or diocese. Only number will be provided for them.
2. The Contestant should not introduce him/herself. The number will serve as the identification for judging.
The Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) is a pastoral commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) whose area of competence and service is the biblical-pastoral ministry in its five-fold ministries of:
Animating Biblical-Pastoral Formation
Organizing Bible Celebration
Promoting Bible Translation
Assisting Bible Production
Coordinating Bible Distribution
A Community of Disciples
nourished by the Word of God,
Witnessing to the Gospel,
and Striving to be a Church
that is poor and for the poor,
with Mary, Mother of the Word, as model.