FINAL STATEMENT AND RECOMMENDATIONS
7th NATIONAL WORKSHOP FOR THE BIBLICAL APOSTOLATE
Theme: "Act on this Word."
St. Vincent Ferrer Seminary
February 17-20, 1992
“The word has taken root in you, with its power to save you.
Act on this word.” (James 1:21-22)
Workers in the Biblical apostolate in the Philippines have come together for the 7th time, like travelers of yore belonging to different caravans who converge at an oasis, or like Filipinos in boats docking at a haven for the first time. This haven is located outside Luzon. In Jaro, Iloilo City, a jewel of the Visayas and a gem of the archipelago, 110 delegates from all regions of our country spent 4 days in fellowship and sharing, conference and workshops, prayer and celebration.
The time we spent together have proven to us that indeed word has taken root in our people; we have experienced its power to save us, but, as James tells us, we have to act on this word.
First, we must acknowledge it not only as “the rule of the faith” but as the norm of daily living for all, young as well as the more advanced in age. We are to find in it the models of our values – what we must hold as good, true, beautiful and sacred. Most of all we are to discover in it the portraits of Christ we are to adopt as models in our present life situations.
Then, we must act on God’s word. For this reason, we have adopted the following recommendations for implementation by all the regional and diocesan centers and all our fellow workers in the biblical apostolate.
1. That the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) will coordinate with the Episcopal Commission on Youth (ECY) in the preparation of the proposed National Congress for the Youth. Propose that the topics on Biblical Apostolate to be discussed be made relevant to the present needs and concerns of the young. One way of doing this is to invite speakers from their own ranks.
2. That the youth be given greater responsibility in the Biblical apostolate in collaboration with the adults with regards to their formation.
3. That the youth be included in the regional, diocesan and parish core teams.
4. That Basic Bible Seminars be intensified to facilitate the thrust of the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines in building Basic Ecclesial Communities.
5. That more trainers be available to increase the number of our Biblical facilitators and animators.
6. That the Bible animators themselves be living witnesses to the gospel so that they can be effective role models of our youth.
7. That ECBA serve as a data bank for media-related biblical materials and programs for easier accessibility among stations of the Philippine Federation of Catholic Broadcasters.
8. That an evaluation of the 7th National Workshop resolutions be included in the 8th National Workshop program of activities.
We now depart from the serene haven afforded by our 7th annual gathering, invigorated and refreshed by the dynamic and lively participation of the youth whose contributions undoubtedly have made lasting imprints in the biblical pastoral ministry. For this year, the youth have joined us in greater number than ever before. It is therefore with special zeal that we pledge to implement the recommendations to develop the Youth Biblical Apostolate.
Approved on this 20th day of February, 1992 at St. Vincent Ferrer Seminary, Jaro, Iloilo City
+CIRILO R. ALMARIO, JR. D.D.
Episcopal Commission on the Biblical Apostolate
The Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) is a pastoral commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) whose area of competence and service is the biblical-pastoral ministry in its five-fold ministries of:
Animating Biblical-Pastoral Formation
Organizing Bible Celebration
Promoting Bible Translation
Assisting Bible Production
Coordinating Bible Distribution
A Community of Disciples
nourished by the Word of God,
Witnessing to the Gospel,
and Striving to be a Church
that is poor and for the poor,
with Mary, Mother of the Word, as model.