19th National Biblical Workshop
Episcopal Commission ON Biblical Apostolate
VERBUM DOMINI: Animating All Pastoral Work with the Word of GOD
Bethel Guest House
February 7-11, 2012
“Just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful… so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me empty, but shall do what pleases me, achieving the end for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:10-11)
We, the participants of the 19th National Workshop on the Bible, inspired by the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Verbum Domini reflected on the theme: “Animating all Pastoral Work with the Word of God.”
We have listened intently and reflected on the pastoral implications of the document and commit ourselves to the following:
1. To promote Verbum Domini by conducting seminars, symposia, retreats and workshops for the clergy, religious, lay pastoral workers at the regional, subregional and diocesan levels.
2. To coordinate and/or collaborate with other apostolates and ministries (especially with the Commission on Catechesis, the Commission on the Youth, and the Commission on the B.E.C.) in the common task of providing biblical formation modules.
3. Sustain and intensify our promotion of the MTBO bible project and its ancillary project, the Handwritten Unity Bible (H.U.B.).
4. To strengthen our Regional Centers by sharing of our “best practices” and resources in the Biblical Pastoral Ministry through the ECBA Office.
5. To review and streamline the organizational structures of our Regional Centers to make them more functional, effective, and responsive to the directions set by “Verbum Domini”.
With the whole-hearted support of our Bishops and under the inspired leadership of the ECBA and the diligence and industry of our Regional Biblical Centers, we hope to realize these commitments within two years.
Approved this 14th of February 2012
For the Participants,
+ PABLO VIRGILIO S. DAVID, D.D.
Auxiliary Bishop of San Fernando, Pampanga
The Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) is a pastoral commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) whose area of competence and service is the biblical-pastoral ministry in its five-fold ministries of:
Animating Biblical-Pastoral Formation (ABPF),
Organizing Bible Celebration (OBC),
Promoting Bible Translation (PBT),
Assisting Bible Production (ABP),
Coordinating Bible Distribution (CBD).
A Community of Disciples
nourished by the Word of God,
Witnessing to the Gospel,
and Striving to be a Church
that is poor and for the poor,
with Mary, Mother of the Word, as model.
We commit ourselves to a renewed evangelization through the
implementation of Vatican II’s Constitution on Divine Revelation (Dei Verbum)
and the Plenary Council of the Philippines’ (PCP II) vision of a Church of
the Poor in our reading, studying,
praying, living, sharing and celebrating the Word of God in response to Verbum Domini's call to “animate every
pastoral activity in the Church with the Word of God”. (VD 73) .