11th National Biblical Workshop for the Biblical Apostolate
Theme: God's Word - Source of Life for All
Holy Family Retreat House
Nivel Hill, Lahug, Cebu City
February 26-29, 1996
“I came that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10).
Atop Nivel Hills, Lahug, overlooking Cebu, the Queen City of the South, we, the one hundred and seventy-five (175) delegates of our country’s Biblical Apostolate centers, met for four days to reflect on “God’s Word – Source of life for all.” We broke the bread of the Scriptures with the help of Ricardo J. Cardinal Vidal, our keynote speaker, and other dedicated servants of the Word. Our reflection was enriched by inculturated liturgical and para-liturgical celebrations, personal prayers and devotions, and energizing group dynamics and singing. We were blessed with an unending flow of fellowship, caring and affirmation, making our workshop alive with the breath of the Holy Spirit.
As a result, we have committed ourselves to the following resolutions:
1. To sustain our Christian life, through daily personal reading, reflecting, living, and sharing of the Word of God.
2. To encourage parents to be role-models at home, in school, and in the community.
3. To enflesh the Word of God in our deeds at home, in school and in place of work in order to become effective agents of change.
4. To enhance awareness of the importance of the Word in the family by having Bible enthronement in homes, Bible-related para-liturgies during birthdays, reunions and other family gatherings, and quoting appropriate verses during prayers before and after meals. Later, the family can be brought to Basic Bible Seminars.
5. To bring the Word of God to the three branches of the government (Executive, Legislative and Judiciary) through Bible study and Bible-sharing in any possible time, media, seminars, and workshops. Invite politicians and leaders to recollections and retreats.
6. To facilitate the engagement of disabled persons in the Biblical Apostolate. In this connection we request ECBA to link up with the Pastoral Commission on Health Care to provide assistance to Biblical activities of persons with disabilities so they can be actively involved in the Biblical apostolate. For regional and diocesan Bible centers, to offer Biblical services to all persons with disabilities in their areas.
We pray that these resolutions will become concrete steps that will bring our Christians communities closer to a New Incarnation of the Word in the year 2000. In a special way, we entrust our plans to Mary, Our Mother of Perpetual Help and Star of Evangelization, so that we could become more fully servants of God’s living and life-giving Word.
With the concurrence of all the participants, and by virtue of the delegated authority of the Commission Chairman, we communicate this statement to our bishops, to the people of God in the Philippines, and to all persons of goodwill.
MOST REV. ANTONIO RANOLA, D.D.
Auxiliary Bishop of Cebu
Member of the Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate
The Episcopal Commission for the Biblical Apostolate (ECBA) is a pastoral commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) whose area of competence and service is the biblical-pastoral ministry in its five-fold ministries of:
Animating Biblical-Pastoral Formation
Organizing Bible Celebration
Promoting Bible Translation
Assisting Bible Production
Coordinating Bible Distribution
A Community of Disciples
nourished by the Word of God,
Witnessing to the Gospel,
and Striving to be a Church
that is poor and for the poor,
with Mary, Mother of the Word, as model.